INTERN WITH US IN AFRICA
A Better World starts with a Better Me
Africa Internship Opportunity
This is a really unique opportunity to join an inspiring bunch of people in Africa and support an innovative grassroots initiative aimed for sustainable development of a school & care center in western Kenya.
EDUCATION AND PEDAGOGY INTERNSHIP IN KENYA
Help create a stimulating, learner-centered educational environment
NGO MANAGEMENT INTERNSHIP IN KENYA
An all-round experience: from social media to fundraising and project management
SOCIAL WORK AND PSYCHOLOGY IN KENYA
Support the development and implementation of programs empowering the children.
Whom we are looking for
We’re looking for enthusiastic individuals as a right-hand man/women for our busy Program Coordinator in day-to-day operations, project implementation and volunteer coordination. You absolutely love listening and working along side our local teams, supporting whatever it takes to make everything mega smooth, impactful and fulfilling every day.
Through applying your natural organisational skills and ability to spontaneously put on your creative hat, you will be helping to design and coordinate weekly activities and workshops that strengthen community, curiosity and compassion.
Where in Kenya
This adventurous and rewarding internship is located in an semi-developed laid-back community in western Kenya and whilst there can be challenges to face working in such a spot, there are also many big rewards, for the right person.
This is a beautiful place to live and work, it’s green and the air could not be fresher, and although it will be challenging and frustrating at times, the Korando Educational Center we are embedded is incredibly warm and hospitable.
You need to be ready and willing to work productively and calmly against occasional power-limitations and internet issues, local rules and ways of doing things within a different pace and enjoy immersing in respecting and learning from different cultures.
This is not a 9-5 internship.. it’s more of a lifestyle you need to be looking for. But it is also a great way to be involved in real grassroots development work in Africa.
Bring Your Passion
We only want to hear from very passionate fun people with a genuine drive to help us strengthen our operation, develop our model and create sustainable impact for our partner-organizations. There’s lots of ways we can improve, we are not a big organisation with years of experience so it’s the chance to be a genuine part of it’s growing success over the coming years. And, there are plenty of opportunities to take a lead and grow within the organisation.
Are You Ready
If you are a bright ambitious individual with drive to learn and grow, a great people person who appreciates individuals from all walks of life, brilliant at listening, someone that embraces challenges and thrives off the opportunity to problem solve … plus interested in developing or starting an exciting career in Africa, this could be just what you were looking for.
Possible Intern Tasks
Your role will be designed according to your skills, desired learning outcomes and needs of the organization. Your tasks may include:
Internship in Kenya
- Work alongside our partner organizations and the local staff to design and coordinate program schedules and new projects
- Help coordinate our local team of teachers and international volunteers day to day to ensure smooth project implementation and a top-notch volunteer experiences
- Consult and support individual volunteers regularly and strategically guide their involvement for maximum impact
- Be the right-hand person for our Program Coordinator, discussing strategy and problem solving
- Assist run Better Me’s Facebook page with daily photo and news updates
- Assist run Better Me’s Newsletter
- Assist in the Child Sponsorship Program
- Maintain donor relations
- Assist in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Help identify opportunities to fundraise for our partner organizations either locally or internationally
- Contribute to the overall strategy for the Better Me e.V. as it grows
Education and Pedagogy
Internship in Kenya
- Introduce and train the teachers/staff to new pedagogical approaches and methods in workshops
- Assist teachers to implement these new methods
- Support the creation of a learner-centered and stimulating culture at the Educational Center
- Support the design and implementation of educational programs and extracurricular activities
- Expect to also join classes and organize events/lessons for the children
Social Work and Psychology
Internship in Kenya
- Individual and group counseling
- Individual mentorship
- Support the development and implementation of programs empowering the children
- Creating stimulating, educative and fun activities
- Assisting the social workers in the day-to-day operations
- Life-Skill training
Essential skills & characteristics
- Background in a position related field
- A strategic mind is important to drive and achieve positive, sustainable change
- Self-motivated, flexible, independent, adaptable and warm-hearted, loving and caring
- An excellent communicator
- The ability to respect and work with different cultures
- Excellent organisational and management skills
- Positive, ambitious and passionate
- Reliable and hard-working
- Thick-skinned! (this is semi-developed Africa and you’re working on a relatively new concept beyond financial handouts and with a big mix of demanding volunteers from around the world!!)
- Computer literate
Population: 43.18 million
Official languages: Swahili and English
Currency: Kenyan Shilling (KES)
Time zone: UTC+03:00
Dates & Fees for 2021: Year-Round
12 weeks – EUR 1,642
16 weeks – EUR 1,908
20 weeks – EUR 2,174
24 weeks – EUR 2,417
- Accommodation in our Volunteer Dome Home (max. two persons per room, shared bathroom)
- Kisumu Airport pick up & drop off
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner as well as drinking water, coffee, tea and fruits
- Internship Mentor
- Pre-Departure Pack
- In-country supervision/support
- Optional Weekend Excursions (additional fees might apply)
- All items of personal nature such as curious, gifts, snacks, drinks and clothing
- Round-trip international airfare
- Personal insurance
- Passport and Visa fees